Monday, August 20, 2007

A Word from the Editor

Dear readers (MEWSies and non-MEWSies alike),

Welcome to the very first issue of “The Mewsings,” MEWS’s online literary journal. It has been very exciting to put together this first issue. We received a completely unexpectedly high number of submissions, far too many to be featured in one issue. The response to this idea has been overwhelming.

“The Mewsings” began as a simple suggestion over lunch: I thought it would be a good idea to have an outlet via the MEWS network for Montclair and vicinity writers to be able to share and read each others’ work. At the same time, I was looking for an outlet in which to flex my own literary muscles (I wanted to be engaged with others' writing, and also open up a possible venue for my own writing); Pam told me I should take charge of the project. We tossed around various ways to go about it, and decided that an online journal would suit the MEWS community very well – it lives in cyberspace and can be accessed from anywhere, just as the MEWS community is linked through e-mails and online notifications. It is a highly accessible way for us to read each other’s work. We then decided to include photography as well – it translates seamlessly to the online medium, and adds a depth and diversity to the magazine.

The outstanding pieces featured here represent a diverse group of styles and genres. We have poetry, we have essays, we have memoir, we have stories, and we have photographs. The selections comprise a variety of theme and tone. Marina Cramer’s story is about a once vivacious friend's protracted weakening and dying from cancer, told from the perspective of the one who is well. Virginia Backaitis has written a hilarious and clever mock breakup letter to her stylist. Patience Moore’s essay about the way that breast cancer is treated in commercial and industrial society, written by a woman who has struggled with the disease and overcome it, is at once incisive, funny, and illuminating. Madeleine Tiger’s poem reminisces on old first childhood sleepovers. And no doubt Denise Rue’s poem will get you talking. The photo selections too are exceptional.

A bit about myself: I am a junior at Yale University, where I study Russian and English Literature and Theatre. I sing in the a cappella group Redhot & Blue and act in plays. I write, draw, and paint as well. I first got involved in MEWS looking for work this past summer – and MEWS was very helpful in finding it for me. Via MEWS, I worked for a variety of people – helping Pam research a new book, helping Allen St. John do research for his sportswriting, and helping Jennifer Prost with publicity.

Thanks very much to all who submitted – what an outstanding pool of pieces it was. Look out for the next issue, in the works, soon. The theme will be Humor, and it will be edited by Fran Liscio, whose photographs are featured in this very edition.

And now, I’m very pleased to present the inaugural issue of “The Mewsings!” Enjoy!

Tommy Crawford